PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU SENT ME ANY EMAILED/CONTACT FORM MESSAGES ABOUT MY SEEDS THROUGHOUT 2016 AND EARLY 2017, BUT DID NOT GET A REPLY, IT WAS NOT BECAUSE I WAS IGNORING YOU. FOR SOME REASON, MOST OF THE MESSAGES WERE BEING MARKED AS SPAM AND DELETED. I have now fixed the issue. Unfortunately, I cannot recover any of the ones that may have ended up this way and I only have access to a few recent ones. If you sent a message a long time ago and never got an answer, please send a new one. Apologies.
For faster responses, you can also contact me on Facebook (this is a link, click me).
The below post is current and updated as of July 27th, 2017.
Seed processing is complete and seed is available for distribution.
– Most varieties are in small quantities you will be responsible for growing out and increasing; I generally cannot provide large amounts. Some 1 lb. lots are available of some corn varieties at a rate of $20 per pound (does not include shipping). No large bean seed lots are available. A normal distribution of corn is 200 seeds, sometimes 300. A normal bean distribution is 25-30. You may order two packets/a double sample if you feel you need more of something (unless noted).
– Sample packets are $5 each. This includes shipping. Orders of only ONE (1) packet incur an additional $1 small order surcharge due to the cost of shipping supplies. Preferred payments are Cash and Paypal (Paypal payments sent ‘Friends and Family’, or add 6% to cover Paypal’s fees). I can also accept checks, but it is not preferred – it can be hard for me to get to the bank and this will delay processing. The cost for locals (meaning there is no shipping needed) is $1/100 seeds of corn, and $1/10 seeds of beans, with a minimum packet charge of $2.
– I can custom-grow larger quantities of seed, though this would have to be pre-arranged by contract, and is not open to all of my varieties as some of them are very special or sacred and must be treated as such.
– I will trade these seeds straight up for other seeds at no additional charge. I am most looking for ones I don’t have that have a NY/PA origin, though I will also steward rare indigenous varieties from anywhere in the country. I am focused almost entirely on saving endangered and heritage varieties from extinction – so if it’s available from multiple seed companies already, odds are I probably don’t need it.
The ‘rules’, so to speak:
– Lower 48 U.S. states only. I will only make exceptions to this for indigenous people.
– Indigenous seed banks/food projects that my seeds ‘belong’ to should feel welcome to contact me for low-cost seed or other special arrangements. I will review other educational projects, etc. on a case by case basis. I am generally unable to distribute free seeds to most other situations, or to private individuals. Seed cost is to help alleviate my expenses in production, processing, and packaging; I do everything by hand, and it takes a huge time investment. I’m not turning a profit on these nor am I trying to.
– Please understand I am only one person, working full time off-farm, and it may be several days before your seeds get shipped – I cannot rush orders except in truly extreme circumstances. Good things come to those who wait.
– Unless I already trust you, you will likely be questioned/vetted a bit. Expect this, and please do not consider it an insult or offense. Understand that I am looking for responsible stewards, not just people who covet these for their rarity. Beans are fairly easy to save, but corn in particular is a crop that is very ‘advanced’ on the scale of seed-saving difficulty. It needs a fairly sizable population for genetic health reasons, and is also extremely subject to cross-pollination contamination. As a result, it is not for beginners.
Any inquiries or questions – or requests for variety descriptions if none can be found – are completely welcomed.
Corn available for distribution:
– Tuscarora White
– Navajo Robin’s Egg (Limit 1 sample)
– Katie Wheeler/Iroquois Calico (good quantity – some 1lb. lots still available)
– Six Nations Blue
– Warners (several 1lb. lots available)
– Gigi Hill
– New York Red Robin
– Mohawk Roundnose (Limit 1, possibly Trades Only)
– Seneca Hominy
– Painted Mountain
– Dakota Black
– Oneida (Only have 2-3 samples to share – to obtain it, you must vow to re-offer it on Seed Savers Exchange, or promise to send me back a fresh sample after you grow it)
– Seneca Bear Paw
– Wild Pigeon
– Seneca Bird Egg
– Seneca Allegany Pinto
– Early Mohawk Pole
– Cattaraugus Cranberry
– Seneca Stripe
– Cornplanter Purple
– Ga Ga Hut
– Iroquois Corn Bread/Tuscarora Bread Bean/Skarure Bread (Limit 1)
– Deseronto Potato
– Seneca landrace sunflower
– Titan sunflower
– Holstein cowpea
– Good Mother Stallard bean
– Mitla Black bean
– Tobacco mix (misc. varieties grown here such as Adonis, Japan 8, Connecticut Broadleaf, Red Russian, etc. – mixed, no choice, sample is just a pinch due to tiny seed size – this can be had for $2.50 or $2 + SASE)
Plantings in the ground now to be added to next season’s offerings:
– Elon Webster Flour
– Mohawk Round Nose
– Puhwem/Delaware White
– King Philip Improved?
– Teaching Drum #18
– Teaching Drum #21
– Teaching Drum #27
– Munsee Wampum
– Octarora Cornfield
– Algonquin Fisher
– Seneca Cornstalk
– Mohawk Bush
– Duane Baptiste Potato Bean
– Blue Shackamaxon
– Cornplanter Purple (purer strain than my previous one)
WANTED LIST (I will swap my seeds for things on this list, or buy these at just about any non-astronomical price):
– Unusual spotted or speckled corns, such as Winnebago Spotted, Bighorse Spotted
– Any rare Northeastern native varieties or heritage NY/PA developed varieties not on my SSE list (my whole SSE list is available for review, upon request)
– Tonawanda Seneca
– Mohawk Vermont
– Hodson’s Silver Wax
– Any of the rest of the Teaching Drum series
– Any rare Northeastern native or heritage NY/PA developed varieties not on my SSE list
Please feel free to use the contact form if interested and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!